Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Day I Was Gluttonous

Happy Thanksgiving!

My in-laws are in town, my sister-in-law is here too, and we are all eating at another s-i-l's home along with a b-i-l and some family friends (yes, 3 of the 4 children from my husbands family live right by me - side note:  we were here first).

I was charged with mashed potatoes, rolls, green salad, and cranberry sauce (No.1 asked for it - and he was the only one with some on his plate).  I made 10lbs of potatoes, 98 crescent rolls, a huge bowl of salad, and one bag of cranberries.  I was told to make a lot because there was going to be a lot of people.

I came home with at least 6lbs of potatoes, 30 rolls (they really were a hit), almost all the salad, and all but 2T of cranberry sauce.

When I look at all that food that came home I wondered why I worked so hard to make so much, but then I thought about how peaceful it was this morning to bake and cook quietly in my kitchen while the boys played upstairs.  I thought of how blessed I am to be able to afford the food I prepared.  I thought about how lucky I was to be born to a wonderful mother who taught me my way around the kitchen (although I'm the not greatest cook, I can follow a recipe like nobodies business!).

So, although I did not gouge myself out on turkey, stuffing, beans, gravy, potatoes, salad, rolls, sour kraut, pies, jello salad, ham and all the other things that way outnumbered the guest, I did find my self a bit gluttonous with blessings.

So, here's to wonderful food.

Here's to thanksgiving.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment