Friday, November 22, 2013

The Day I Evaluated My Ideals

My husband says I have an iron will.  That's not always a good thing.  I do things like withhold bathroom privileges from myself until all the floors are clean or go hungry until the dishes are done and laundry folded.  Today, I gave up sleep to finish a video project.

After the boys were asleep, I set up the video camera, recorded a piano solo, uploaded it to the computer, searched for the perfect images to accompany the song, compiled it all together in Pinnacle, and got it ready to upload.  The project took me about 4.5 hours.  It was 2:45am by the time I was done (I'm altering the date of this post to reflect the day I actually started the project).

I have to go to a dress rehearsal, accompany a choir, and sing in another tomorrow morning at 8:30am.  WHAT WAS I THINKING?

Still, it feels good to have it done.

I hope that my boys see my dedication to work before play.  It is a great philosophy to live by in to create order and balance in life.  However, I also want them to see the times I set that ideal aside and just have spontaneous fun with them.  Put the dish cloth down and play Lego's.  Hang the broom up to read train books.  Leave the clothes in the dryer to race cars.

Work is important, but so is fun.

I need to redirect my self-discipline sometimes to what is most important.  Maybe it is Lego's.  The dishes can wait a while; this window of time with my son won't wait.

So, here's to the idea of ideals.

Here's to will-power.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment