Friday, November 15, 2013

The Day I Baked

I don't bake a lot.  Sure, I love to make bread and pastries and cookies, but we just don't eat it fast enough to really make it worth my time.  But today, it was all worth my time.

You see, I received an e-mail from our Stake Relief Society president who informed me of an opportunity to serve:  Make cookies for the Blue Star Mothers to ship to the soldiers.  So, I invited some friends over to help me bake.  I made the dough the night before and had one kind all done (7 1/2 dozen lone ranger cookies) by the time my friends started to show up.

With their help, we were able to bake a full batch of snickerdoodles (I scooped, they rolled) and a load of sugar cookies (I cut, they decorated).  It took a little over 2-hours and we were able to make at least 15-dozen cookies.  I also had a couple friends drop off cookies they had made.  I'd say we easily totaled 30-dozen cookies plus candied popcorn.

I was so glad I was able to bake - with friends - and send everything away (each child did pick one sugar cookie).  I am grateful for friends to spend time with.  I am grateful for men and women who strengthen our country.  I am grateful for the chance to teach my children about service (when No.1 came home he wanted a cookie; I simply told him they were for the soldiers, but he could have the sugar cookie I kept out for him;  that was good enough for him).

So, here's to putting my oven to good use.

Here's to serving with friends.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment