Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Day I Got Advice in the Library

When No.1 comes home from school some times and talks to me about different kids ("Billy kicked me during recess", "Eve keeps talking to me during lunch and I can't eat", "Frank doesn't pay attention in class and it bothers me", etc), I often have advice for him ("Ask Billy not to kick and let him know that if he does it again you will have to let the teacher know", "Tell Eve you are hungry and although you are interested to hear what she has to say it is time to eat", "Be a good example to Frank; show him what good listening looks like", etc).

Today I got a little more advice to serve.

Our Relief Society went to our new library for a tour and to help out.

One of my former students was our guide.  She did a lovely job and I'd like to think that her beginnings in my class had something to do with her public speaking abilities :)

After the short tour, we were led to the back rooms where projects awaited us.  Cutting, pasting, tracing...the works (felt like kindergarten).  Another sister and I cataloged new books.  She put the bar codes on the back, and I put the clear sticker on top.  We made a good team.

Funny thing is that this woman is not one of my best friends, but I enjoyed her company as we worked in tandem.  It was nice to just chat.  No committed conversations, but pleasant chatter.

When No.1 has issues with working with non-friend-friends, I will now have some more advice to give:  hey, you don't have to be the best of friends to work well together to get a job done.  And I can give that advice having lived it.  This, of course, was not the first time I've lived this advice, but now that I've put words to it, I'll be better prepared for when "Caron has to be my partner and I'm not sure I even like her" comes up.

So, here's to good advice.

Here's to being ready.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment