Monday, November 11, 2013

The Day I Taught Myself

FHE Treat
It is Monday.  Monday in our home means Family Home Evening.  That is a night once a week where we put aside all distractions and focus on a spiritual lesson we can all learn from.  Of course, with two younger children, most of the lessons are "dumbed-down", but their messages are clear.

Tonight, however, I shared a lesson about a turkey who loses his temper and turns colors: red with anger, purple with passion, green with envy, and so on until he turns white when he learns to control his temper and decides it is he who is in charge of his emotions.  I had colored feathers cut out and the boys glued corresponding colors on a turkey cut-out I made as the story was told.  The boys, well, lets be real, No.1 seemed to enjoy the lesson, but I think I was the one who learned the most.

I am in control of myself.  I might often say, "You're beginning to irritate me" or "You are on my last nerve" or "You are going to make me lose my temper," but it's ME and only ME who can decide whether to lose it or not.  After that lesson, I pray that I can be a good example of showing responsibility for my own temper and keep it in check.

So, here's to taking my own medicine.

Here's to being humbled.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment