Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Day I Spent More Than I Planned

Today was election day so the schools were closed to be used as poling places.  I had planned a month ago to take the boys on an outing to DC today, but then the government shut down, but then it re-opened, but then No.1 got sick, but then No.1 felt better, so we went!

I had planned on taking the train.  I have never been on a train, neither have the boys (with the exception of amusement park trains and the subway).  Both boys are enamored by trains (well, No.1 says he's not really into them anymore, but he still plays with Thomas), so I thought it would be a special treat.

We walked up to the platform and I purchases a two ride ticket from the machine, activating one ride immediately.  There was a couple on the far side of the track and a single lady on our side.  I asked the lady if she was familiar with the system.  She wasn't.  So, I called the train people on my cell (there are no workers at the train station, everything is electronic) to ask what side of the track I had to be on to go to DC.  The lady asked when I was planning on traveling.

"Um, right now."

"Oh, well, we stopped running our trains at 7:40."

"Well, the website said there are still two more trains.  One at 8:40 and one at 9:02."

"Those are Amtrak trains we have a deal with for later commuters, but you have to have a 10-trip pass then upgrade a $3.00 ticket to ride Amtrak."

"But I just purchased a two-ride pass and activated it."

"You can get that refunded.  But you might have to purchase a ticket for your children.  They can ride our trains for free under 10, but Amtrak charges for 2 and older."

(In tears now) "So, I'd have to purchase Amtrak tickets for my boys?  They can't ride with one of your tickets and the $3 upgrade?"

"I don't know what Amtrak's rules are regarding that, but I think you'll have to purchase tickets."

"Ok, well, thanks."

I was so upset.  I had planned this for, like I said, a month.  I researched it.  I talked to someone on the phone about the train runs.  I had packed a daypack.  I was ready.  The boys were excited.  And now my plan was falling apart all because the train's website said nothing about partnering with Amtrak during those runs (or at least it is unclear because I still can't find reference to such).

I couldn't just go home.  So, I put my $22.20 2-ride pass in my wallet, pulled out my card, and purchased a $101 10-ride pass.  I figured it was good for a year and we'd most likely go again.  I had planned on taking the train because it would be cheaper than driving half way up, parking in a garage, and buying subway passes.  It turned out to cost way more.  But some things are worth it.  Oh, and it turned out I didn't need to buy tickets for the boys or even upgrades for them (another more traveled passenger came to my aid with that info).

I could have just gone home and we could have taken the trip another day, but I really felt like today was the day to do it.  Turned out to be perfect.

We pulled into Union Station and our DC adventure began.  The Postal Museum was right there by the station and the boys had fun learning about the Pony Express, train mail cars, the Inverted Jenny, and creating their own stamps.  We walked to lunch at a great Mexican place a gentleman on the train recommended.  Then we headed to The Mall and hit up the Native American museum (they have a great kids section, too bad the igloo building was closed) then the American History museum.  We walked through the sculpture garden and bought No.1 a Washington DC Minecraft shirt from a street vender then headed home (on the commuter train, this time).

Sometimes plans don't go as planned, sometimes we end up spending more than we planned, sometimes it's all worth it.

So, here's to changing plans.

Here's to fun times.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment