Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Day I Stated the Facts

Today I realized that if I just say it as it is, there is less conflict. 
For instance:  No.1 decided to spit his toothpaste all over the sink.  I told him, "You just earned the right to clean my bathroom." He looked at me with complete understanding and without argument.
For another instance:  No.2, who has a tendancy to be too self-reliant, climbed on the counter to get a cereal bowl out of the cabinet, got ahold of one of my Pfaltzgraff ceramic bowls, and broke it.  "You may not get on the counter." No.2 was sad, but didn't protest.
I found that not only does stating things factually help my children to not throw fits, it helps me, too.  I discovered that if I take a breath, say my fact, and not dwell on it, I keep my cool.
So, here's to win-win.
Here's to the facts.
And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment