Monday, November 18, 2013

The Day I Made It Up as I Went Along

It's Monday.  Family Home Evening.  I had planned Saturday that we would make caramel apples for the activity and treat, so that was ready.  What wasn't ready was a lesson.  I pretty much always have that planned out and ready to go at least before dinner on Monday nights.  After all, kids can smell when you're going off the cuff and totally run wild with it.  So, I'm usually prepared.  But today I wasn't.  Luckily the lesson just happened.

The apples would need to be chilled before we could eat them.  I decided it would be better if we made the apples before FHE, set them in the fridge during, and eat after. So, I made the caramel and called the boys down when it was ready.

No one came.

I pulled the bowl off the stove and dipped my own apple - for an example, you know - all the while calling for the boys to come down and join me.

Still, no one came.

Now, I'm not a perfect candy maker, but I know that once the caramel is ready, it is ready and the peak will never come again, but I had to put it back on the make-shift double boiler and go get the boys.  I stood at the bottom of the stairs and literally screamed (I'm sure the neighbors heard, really).  Finally, my husband said, "What?"  A sign of life.

The boys came down, we said a prayer then started with the not-so-prime caramel again.  It worked pretty well on No.1's, ok on No.2's, and not so much on my husbands.  No.1 said mine looked so nice and smooth.

*Ding* Teaching Opportunity:

Instantly I knew what our lesson was to be on.  Here's how it went:

Me:  No.1, did you hear me call you the first time?

No.1:  No.

M:  Did you hear me call you a second time to come make the apples?

1: No.

M:  Why couldn't you hear me?

1:  Because the computer's (he was playing Minecraft with Daddy) volume was all the way up.

M:  Oh, so you couldn't hear me because other things were blocking my voice?

1:  Yes.

M:  Sometimes the Holy Ghost wants to talk to us and we can't hear because other things are blocking him like bad choices we make.  Because you didn't hear me calling you the first time, the caramel wasn't as good when you finally came downstairs.  When we can't hear the Holy Ghost, we miss out on the best things.

Or at least it went something like that.  But no worries, it all made sense.

So, here's to impromtu lessons lead by the Spirit.

Here's to making connections.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.





PS.  The apples all tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment