Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Day I Let Him Have a Go

Happy Halloween!  The boys are pirates this year so I transformed our Radio Flyer into a pirate ship with the help of some brown packing paper, tape, temper paint, a broom, a toddler sheet, pvc piping, and a little 2-year old boy.

No.2, half naked due to a pull-up mishap, wanted so much to help paint the faux wood on the packing paper.  He grabbed the paintbrush, opened a little jar of paint, swished it around inside and put the brush to the paper.  I realized that while I was focusing on what I was painting, he had been watching me and learning.

I never taught No.2 how to open paint, I always just put it on the paint pallet and give him the brush.  I never taught him how to paint with sweeping movement, I was fine with his sloppy squiggles and crushed paintbrush bristles.  Today, he learned how to do those things by watching, so I let him have a try at painting some water on the edge of the boat.

I wonder how much my children have learned from just observing me.  Have they learned to speak kind words or gossip about others.  Have they learned how to cheerfully do what is required of me or grumpily put dishes away.  Have they learned how to help others or tactfully come up with excuses.  Unfortunately, I know they have not learned every wonderful thing from me, but I hope they've picked up a few.

So, here's to taking notice.

Here's to teaching better.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment