Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Day I Held On

No.2 has a bit of a cold and Daddy was more than willing to stay home and sleep with him instead of go to church.  So, No.1 and I ate breakfast together (hot cocoa and toast - No.1's favorite) and headed out the door.

Church is 3 hours long and during the 3rd hour No.1 was brought to me because he had doubled over while practicing the Primary Program for next weeks presentation and had started crying.  I found out that a friend of his and he were not exactly being ideal students and after a firm poke from No.1, the friend punched No.1 in the stomach.  Real church-like behavior.  I'm so proud.

Anyway, I had him come sit by me in my class.  After about 5-minutes I asked if he wanted to go back to Primary.  "No.  I feel like I need to stay here until the end of church," came the reply.

I could have shooed him back to his class and told him he'd be fine, but there was something about him that made me agree.  I pulled him onto my lap and gently rocked back and forth.  Soon, his head was nodding and then he was out.

I love cuddling my boys.  No.2 is always up for a good snuggle, but No.1 is growing up and although he has not said it aloud, I fear he thinks he's too old for that sort of stuff.  One of my favorite memories is rocking No.1 when he was just 3 on Mother's Day eve.  As he sat on my lap, belly to belly, his head resting on my shoulder, he asked with his little raspy voice, "Meese (please) can you sing 'Close your pretty bue (blue) eyes'?" ("American Lullaby" - Gladys Rich).  So, I was just so very grateful I was able to hold on to him again today for as long as I did (30 or so minutes; until I had to play the closing song).

So, here's to hearing past words.

Here's to holding on just a little longer.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment