Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Day I Bought Training Pants

A friend of mine recently posted her excitement about her 14-month old being off the bottle for a week and now she had to tackle potty training.  Potty Training!  Wow!  I know some kids train early, but 14-months?  Lucky lady.  I guess.

As I have mentioned before, No.1 pretty much started potty training himself at 18-months.  He wasn't proficient until about 20-months.  It was a long, but easy process.  I've read about different methods in potty training:  let the kid run naked; watch for cues; put them on the pot every 10 minutes; have them eat salty things and drink lots of water; the list goes on.  I'm sort of at a loss for No.2.

No.2 periodically wakes up in the morning dry and usually is dry after naps.  He has gone pee on the toilet and has even put himself on the John before.  Well, today, after waking up dry, going to the bathroom before we took No.1 to school, using the restroom in Walmart and Target, I decided maybe we should pick out some training pants.

No.1 used Pull-ups.  I don't know if I want to do that with No.2.  He seems to need to really feel the wet and not just "the cool" (we tried a Pull-up).  We came home from our errands and No.2 was asleep.  I laid him down in his bed and an hour later (short nap) he was up and dry.  I had him sit on the potty.  He didn't go.  I put his diaper back on him.  I was cleaning up the kitchen and wasn't watching him or else I would have caught his pooping signal (he hides and stands/squats really still), so he messed his diaper.  At least it was his diaper and not underwear.  I got him cleaned up and put him on the toilet.  Nothing.  I went ahead and put a new pair of training pants on him.  Daddy came home and I had to leave to get No.1 from school.  I told Daddy to watch for signs, and I left.  Shortly after I came home, No.2 had an accident.  This happened a couple more times.  Each time I played it off as no big deal (I didn't get upset), but reminded him that "peepee and poop go in the potty" and placed his tiny hiney on the toilet.  No.2 never went to the potty again.  (I wonder if he prefers public restrooms.  Ewe!)

We'll try again tomorrow.  Daddy is taking the day off so we can work on this together.

I hope I am not pushing the potty training too early.  I hope I'm reading his readiness signs right.  I hope we're out of diapers soon :)

Anyway.  Here's to happy potty training a 26-month old.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment