Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Day I Turned 35

If I were pregnant, which I'm not, but would like to be, I'd be considered "Advanced Maternal Age".  35 isn't old, is it?  Although I do have several greys and my joints are not as spry as they once were (although I can still get both feet pretty close to behind my head), I don't particularly feel old.

I have watched programs on Discovery channels about aged parents.  60-year old women having twins and the like.  Now, that's Advanced Maternal Age!

I guess I don't feel my age because I think that people who are in their mid-30's should have more than just 2 kids or their kids should be in middle school.  Because of this misconception, I oftentimes find myself relating to two completely separate decades of people:  I am friends with 20-somethings because we can talk about our children, and I'm friends with 30/40-somethings because we can relate as individuals.  That's not to say these relationships don't sometimes cross, they most certainly do, I just don't know which group I truly fit in with.

I know it's silly thinking I need to fit in with one or the other.  I know I don't.  But I sometimes feel like the go-between.  I feel like a Jack of all trades, master of none.  I'm sure there are reasons for that, some a psychiatrist wouldn't even be able to draw out of me (detour - I am a pretty normal, non-traumatized person), but if I truly think deeply about it, I guess I like it this way;  I get the best of two worlds.

So, here's to getting two for the price of one.

Here's to another year.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment