Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Day I Saw Joy

No.1 does not enjoy soccer.  I don't think he ever has, but Daddy played as a boy, and, by-george, so will No.1 (and probably No.2 - but I think he'll actually like it).  After last Saturday's game, I told my husband that after this season, we were done.  No more soccer.  "Ok," he said.  He finally saw what I'd been seeing for such a long time.

Then, today, whadoyaknow, No.1 played the best soccer game of his life!  He was placed in a defense position.  He hung out by the goal and blocked nearly every goal attempt made by the other team.  I actually never saw the other team score on No.1 (I was probably taking No.2 to the potty - fun times).  And while our team was trying to score, No.1 one was dancing and having fun at the other end of the field.  Yes, at times he was goofing off, but for the most part, he was really having fun.

For the first time in a long while, I saw him enjoying soccer.  He found his niche.  He found something he could do well.  He found joy in soccer.

Now, we're sort of at an impass.  He discovered he loves defense in soccer, but said he wants to try baseball.  So, who knows what next spring will bring, but for now I was just thrilled to see him having fun...finally.

So, here's to finding our niche.

Here's to enjoying situations, even though they might not be our favorite.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment