Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Day I Did Tiddly

If you were to stop by my home today, you would have caught us all in our pj's (well, No.2 was half naked - potty training, remember?).  It was a perfect grilled cheese and tomato soup day with rain and all.  We weren't being lazy, we cleaned rooms, did laundry, and made meals, but sometimes, on rainy days especially, it just feels right to stay in your jammies.

However, during our busy inside day, I found made time to play a game with No.1.  He had pulled Tiddly Winks from the game closet and patiently waited for me to put No.2 down for a nap then set up the retro game on his table.  I fit my pajama clad rear into his tiny chair and we enjoyed a good 30-40 minutes of Tiddly Winks.

Why is this an important parenting move for me?  Here are 2 reasons I instantly think of.

#1:  I had laundry to fold, dinner to prep, floors to sweep...but I put those things aside to spend a few minutes with my boy.  It was so worth eating frozen Tyson chicken nuggets for dinner.

#2:  I was able to teach him.  I kept score the first game and had him keep score for the second.  He wanted to up the score to 1,000.  I silently cheered because I was going to be able to teach him addition of three digit numbers.  At first he didn't want to write the points down and then add.  He did just fine adding in his head until the math required a carried number.  So, I was able to show him how it's done.  In between the math lessons, there were lessons on being honest (not double shooting), mercy (take another try, it didn't even leave the felt pad), and good sportsmanship (I won both times).

I hope that each time I look at that game I remember today.

Here's to making time.

Here's to making memories.

Here's to making a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment