Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Day I Starved My Family

Ok, so I didn't starve starve them, but I really messed up dinner.  I plan my meals monthly, but I failed to read all the directions for tonight's dinner (it had to sit over night), so I tried to wing it.

I'm not a good cook.  I can follow someone's recipe like nobody's business,  but when it comes to understanding food, I fail miserably.  So why I thought I could wing it with stuff from the fridge I'll never know.  I actually think it wouldn't have been too terrible if I hadn't mistaken sweetened condensed milk for cream of chicken.

Anyhow...

I ate one of my creations (named Asian Burrito) quickly before calling the boys down because I had a student coming.  I admit it wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  The guys came down and started to eat.  They were kind at first, but mid piano lesson, No.1 came to me and announced in front of my student and her mother that "dinner was so gross we all decided not to eat it".  Ouch!

Now, I know it was impolite for No.1 to interrupt the lesson, especially with the announcement he shared, and for a split second I was upset with his behavior and embarrassed by his words.  But then I thought, I bet that mother has messed up a few meals in her cooking career.  I then thought, I'll talk to No.1 later! 

That might not seem like a big deal to you,  but you need to understand my personality.   As a child,  if one person got in trouble in class, I felt guilty.  If a teacher made one correction publically to my work, I felt an inch tall.   If people expected me to be perfect at something and I didn't pull through 100%, I felt like I had severely let them down.  Heck, I still feel that way. 

I felt guilty, an inch tall, and a disappointment in that half second.  But then for the rest of that second I thought, so tonight's dinner wasn't the greatest, so what? and I moved on.

So here's to accepting mistakes.

Here's to chicken nuggets in the freezer.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment