Monday, October 14, 2013

The Day I Had No Regrets

It isn't often that I can reflect on my day and say, "Good job, lady.  You did it right today."

Yes, my day was perfect.  My kids were perfect.  My husband was perfect.  The weather was perfect.  It was all perfect.

Now, if you believe that,  I've got a bridge . . .

No, everything wasn't perfect, except the weather, yah that was pretty much perfect, but my reactions to my imperfect world were ones I could be proud of.

No.1 had a difficult time this morning.  Only the sun knows what time he actually woke up, but I found him engrossed in a movie at 7:30.  I told him it was time to come up and get ready for school.  No response.  I walked downstairs, turned off the power to the dvd player, told him to go upstairs, get dressed,  and eat breakfast in a firm, but not wildly yelling voice.  He obeyed, at first.  Clothes were put on, but that's about as far as we got before his behavior required more action on my part.  I calmly told him he'd lost screen rights for the rest of the day.  Pouting ensued accompanied by a few tears.  I had not served his punishment out of anger, and he knew it.

I am blessed to have a son who does not hold grudges, and, when asked, understands why certain consequences for his actions were given which he also sees as fair and reasonable (that's not to say he doesn't try to get out of them: Can I earn it back?).

Later, while No.1 and I were working on piano, No.2 wandered into the front room carrying his Elmo "unwear"in his little hands.  "Ewe!  Poop!" I took the garment and, sure enough, he hadn't made it to the potty on time.  I took a breath, led him and his underwear to the bathroom, and set him on the pot.  "Where do poops go?" I asked.  "Poop potty," he answered.  I was not happy to wash underwear in the sink, but I was glad he came to me and that I didn't get upset.

We ended the evening with a Family Home Evening leason on loving your neighbor, making a treat, and delivering it to our neighbors.  Because we visited with our friends for a little while, our bedtime routine started later than usual, but the boys followed directions pretty well and all tasks were completed in a timely manner.

I think of how the day started with such frustration from No.1 and ended with such a peaceful night and I wonder how much of that end result was due to my behavior throughout the day.

Let's hope I don't have to find out that it wasn't.

Here's to doing things right, for once.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment