Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Day I Woke Up Early

It's never easy having house guests - for either party.  As a hostess, you feel the need to always put a smile one so the guest doesn't feel like they're imposing.  As a guest, you never feel completely "at home."  So, having filled both roles during different times in my life, I get it.  It's not easy.

My current guests are not bad tenants.  However, they do get up really early (before 7 is really early for me - I mean look at the time-stamp on most of these posts; early to bed and early to rise-pshaw!).  Today they were up by 6:30 or before using the bathroom, stomping (I don't think on purpose, they're just extremely heavy walkers) up and down the stairs, getting breakfast.  And since my room is right by the stairs, bathroom, and kitchen, it seemed pretty much impossible to fall back asleep.

I slid out of bed and started my day.  I wasn't happy about it (I've become more and more of a non-morning person as I've grown-up), but I did it anyway, and I had a strange experience:  I actually enjoyed it!

Have you ever dreaded going to a get together or meeting but ended up having a really nice time when you finally got there?  That happens to me all the time.  The problem is the "getting there", not the "being there".  So, is it a wonder that I dreaded leaving my bed this morning, but actually was glad I did?

I was able to actually make my bed, wipe off all the counters, wash the dishes, dress No.2, and stress-free-aly get to school.  It was a miracle.

Now, I'm not saying I want to make this a habit, just like I don't make get togethers or meetings habitual, but I'm glad that I was able to get up early today.  Sure, I was tired, but I still functioned and was able to spend time with, not just by, No.1 and No.2.  They talked, I actually listened.  It was like a cereal commercial - really.

So, here's to a few good early mornings.

Here's to the nice inconvenience of guests.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment