Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Day I Tried Something New

I find myself putting my fear/dislike of some foods onto my children.  I dislike, no, I detest cooked spinach, so we've never had it (except when it's mixed in things like lasagna).  I think brussel sprouts are bitter, so my children have never tasted them.  We've only had livers once (turkey liver in a gravy) and we actually all decided it would not make a comeback.  But today, I branched out.  I put my fears aside, my likes and dislikes to the side, and tried a new recipe.

Now, we try new recipes all the time (thank you Pinterest), but this one contained 2 things I've never eaten:  cubed pumpkin and kale.  Because No.1's pumpkin popped open at the pumpkin patch the other day, I've been cooking a pureeing pumpkin for 2 days!  I left some out to cube and use in a recipe - if I could find one.  I figured it would be like any other squash, right?

I found a recipe that looked interesting, but I was nervous about the kale.  To me kale is like spinach.  Truth is, I've never actually eaten it.  So, I put my feelings aside and cooked up dinner.

It. Was. Delicious!

Keilbasa, pumpkin, onions, garlic, kale, seasonings and pasta.  I am so glad there are left overs (it made a lot)!

I discovered today that it is not fair to keep my kids from things because I don't like them (provided they are safe things).  I don't like golf, but that doesn't mean that when No.2 is in high school I'm not going to let him join the team.  I don't like messy goopy gack, but that doesn't mean that I won't let No.1 play with it when it comes home from a birthday party.  I don't like tripe (at least I think I don't like it), but that doesn't mean I won't cook up a good Mexican tripe soup...wait a minute, yes it does, I have to draw the line somewhere.

So, here's to trying new things.

Here's to discovery.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment