Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Day I Received a Part of Omi

Our dear Omi passed away a couple weeks ago.  She was one crazy but pretty awesome German grandmother.  She was Mr.'s last living grandparent.  Opi passed in August (leukemia), and now Omi has joined him in the Spirit World  (Mr. jokes that he's sure Omi will make it, but he's not too sure about Opi.)

Today, my mother-in-law pulled out some of Omi's jewelry she got when she and my father-in-law went out to UT for Opi's funeral.  MIL had each of her 4 daughters (2 biological, 2 marriage) pick 2 items of jewelry to have for their own.

Because I'm married to the oldest son and not a biological child, I chose 3rd.  Omi wore some pretty, but "old lady" jewelry, but there was one ring that I would wear.  So, I chose that.  It is beautiful (needs a deep, deep cleaning and resizing - Omi was 5-foot nothing, if that) and I feel blessed to have a piece of her.  I had to tend to No.2, so Mr. chose some earrings on round 2 for me.  They are pretty and maybe one day I'll be able to pass them on to one of my daughters.

It's not important that this jewelry is expensive or even nice, although they are.  It is important that we keep memories and special things of our ancestors and continue to make family ties.

So, here's to keeping memories.

Here's to Omi.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment