Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Day I Cried

We had a pretty successful cookie exchange this morning at my counselors home.  Her mom is visiting and taught us how to make lotion, then we exchanged cookies and went home.  I had an entire tray of assorted cookies for Advent tomorrow.  Score!

No.1's party was awesome!  He wanted to rent the gym (an old elementary school gymnasium where the county P&R practices gymnastics).  It's supper cheap and requires no set-up or take-down, so I booked it in September.  The guest arrived and the kids played until they were red in the face.  We sang "Happy Birthday" and No.1 blew out his candles atop his doughnut pyramid.  They ate doughnuts, Funyons, trail mix, and pretzels and guzzled water.  They played a bit more then gifts were opened, goodie bags handed out, then everyone went home.  Easy 2 hours.

It was pouring when we left the gym.  No.2 soaked his socks and pants in a huge puddle.  But we managed to get to the car with out melting.  My husband was concerned that we wouldn't have enough meat for the deli sandwiches tomorrow, and I needed just a couple more things for the Advent event, so we headed out to Walmart.

No.2 crashed before we hit the main road (nap time is 1-ish, it was now 4:30) so I debated sending my husband into the store alone or not.  It was decided that we would all go in as a family.  We parked the car.  I grabbed No.1 and carried him, running, into the store (remember the rain?) and Daddy gently carried No.2.

My husband went to the deli counter while I shook off the umbrella he had been carrying.  As No.1 and I walked into the store, he noticed the Salvation Army's Angel Tree.  No.1 asked what it was.

"It a paper that gives you the name of a little girl or boy who won't get any Christmas presents unless someone chooses their angel and buys some for them."

"Which one can we get."

Oh my goodness.  The innocence.  The genuine concern that another child wouldn't get any gifts.  The heart that my little man just demonstrated created a huge lump in my throat and I had to breathe deep and say, "Which ever one you want."

As we walked over to join my husband at the deli counter, I blinked back tears that continued to form.  We did our last minute shopping and I sent the Mr. to the front; we'd meet him there.  No.1 and I dashed around the store.

"What does it say she want's?" he asked.

"Hello Kitty, coloring books, and Baby Alive."

"I know!" he exclaimed, "let's get her a Hello Kitty coloring book!"

We found one.

We also found a cute Hello Kitty pj set and summer dress (for summer, of course) and a Baby Alive doll with accessories.

The two of us ran up to the front.  Mr. was already checking out and was just finished with his last item when we added ours for the little (I use the word little lightly as she is a 4yo who wears 6-7 clothes!) girl.

I am so grateful I am in the position to be able to allow No.1 to choose a name off the Angel Tree.  What a blessing it is to have a charitable son.  I hope that the little girl has a fantastic Christmas morning!

So, here's to angels (on the tree and at home).

Here's to compassion.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment