Friday, February 7, 2014

The Day I Was Grateful for the Olympics

I made dinner, took No.1 to karate, Mr. fed the elders, we all ate delicious cookies, the elders left, the kitchen cleaned, the boys ready for bed, then we all stayed up and watched the opening ceremonies of the Sochi Olympics.

I get so excited for all the athletes, American and non.  They have been preparing their whole lives for this.  I just want them to do their best.  I'm not sure the boys understand what a monumental event this is, but they watched the ceremonies anyway.

I let my mind wonder sometimes and think about what sacrifices I would be willing to make if one of my children showed amazing talent in academics, music, or sports.  No.1 will start swim team this summer.  What if he's a natural?  Who knows what No.2 will excel in.  What if I have a genius child.  Do I send them away to get better training?  If I don't, will they ever meet their potential?

I attended a piano recital while in college.  The recital was given by students from a private boarding school.  Parents send their children away for the year to study music, often only seeing them 5 times during the school year.  I know I wouldn't be able to do that.  But would I be willing to move?

I know my boys are bright, but hopefully I'll never have to make a decision like that.  I respect those parents who do make those decisions.  I watched the Gabby Douglas Story (Lifetime) they other day.  Gabby's mother was a single parent with 4 children.  Not only did she make sacrifices, but Gabby's brother and sisters saw her talent and willingly gave up their desires so her talent could be coached.  Now her name has gone down in US gymnastic history.

So, here's to the athletes.

Here's to their families.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment