Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Day I Was Grateful for Imagination


This little man and I were playing in his room when all of a sudden he left.  I stayed and waited for him to return.  When he did (about 2 minutes later), he had the little kitchen play phone and was talking away into it.  He was telling the person about his trains, how he was playing with his "guys" (little people), and about the snow.  He left silent pauses to allow the for response from the person and even at times pretended to be thinking about what they were saying.  I asked him who he was speaking to.  His answer, "Gahma" (Grandma).  He spoke for another 5 or so minutes, said good by, and put the phone down.

I love that children have such wonderful imaginations.  I find that is not one of my strengths.  I don't really think it ever has been.  I'm pretty literal, but rather creative.  I don't know how that works, but I can create things, yet struggle to play house.  Still, I'm glad to try my best and play along with my children as they create imaginary worlds and scenarios.  I'm sure they're actually just putting up with me, and being polite about it all.  :)

So, here's to thinking outside the box.

Here's to stretching my imagination.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment