Friday, March 21, 2014

The Day I Was Grateful for Stars

I was watching my littlest one playing in the front yard with sand/beach toys in the little bit of snow left from our "no"-man from my door while directing No.1's piano practice when I saw No.2 pick up a star mold and throw it into the air.  It didn't go very high, he's 2, but I knew he wanted the star to go up.  I walked down the front steps and asked him what he was doing.  "Star world so high!" was his reply.  After a couple more sentences, I understood that he was trying to put the star back into the sky.  I think he really thought he could do it.  After several more unsuccessful (obviously) attempts, he asked me to help him.  He directed me to pick him up and take him up to the house so he would be closer to the sky and the star could more easily reach.  I more than willingly gave into his desires and put him on my shoulders at the top of the stairs.  He reached as high as he could, but the star did not stick in the sky.  I eventually put him down, and he packed up the sand toys and called it a day.

I love that he really believed he could make that star shoot into the sky.  I hate to think that this was his first failure.  I love that I encouraged him and didn't try to explain to a two-year old that the sky is so far away and that even if you did reach the sky as we know it, you have to go even further to get the star to where the other stars are.  I hate that he's growing up so fast and will one day have someone stomp on his dreams.

So, here's to swinging on stars.

Here's to wishing we may and wishing we might have our wishes come true.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment