Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Day I Was Grateful for Lincoln

I am really struggling with this post tonight.  It's all I can do to keep the tears from falling.  Tears of gratitude and sadness.

My cousin, J, (one of the girls closest to my age) who I reconnected with through facebook after many years of no communication (she's the daughter of my biological father's sister and with my "real" parents getting divorced when I was 8-months old, loads of moves, and just never being really close, but still full of love, to that side of my family, we never really stayed in contact - until now).  Anyway, J has two children.  A little girl about No.1's age and a little boy a year and a half older than No.2.  Her son, Lincoln, was born with a partial deletion and duplication on chromosome 1.  This resulted in mysterious syndromes and developmental delays.  But otherwise, he was a healthy, happy boy.

Two years ago on March 10th, just 9 days before his 2nd birthday, J went to check on him near the end of his nap and found him unresponsive in his crib.  Lincoln had fulfilled his life on this earth.

I did not know Lincoln, but I've followed J's blog about him and am thrilled that J is expecting twins (boy/girl).  She and her husband have been so open about their emotions and how they keep going.  Things are going good for them, but this month undoubtedly brings heartache.

An annual memorial day has been organized for people to place pinwheels (Lincoln loved them, they were the centerpiece of his beautiful funeral, and friends littered J's yard with them for months following his death) and to spend the day making someone's heart spin, eyes twinkle.

Today, No.2 and I got a head start on Pinwheel Day.

I am grateful for that sweet little Lincoln who I never knew in person.  I am thankful to know that I will know him one day.  I am thankful for technology that brings family together.  I am blessed to be the mother of two wonderful, healthy boys.

So, here's to hugging a little longer.

Here's to more kind words.

And here's to a Better Mommy Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment